Eea Social Security Agreement

The social security provisions provide that Eee`s social security legislation extends the rights and obligations of its own nationals to nationals of other EEA states residing in its territory. A person who moves from one EEA state to another should not be in a worse position than someone who has always lived and worked in the same EEA state. As a general rule, you pay social security contributions in the EEA country where you work instead of social security. In other words, the coordination of social security facilitates the free movement of people within the EU. A fundamental reform of legislation in this area was undertaken in 2010, supplemented by other legislative acts aimed at improving the protection of the rights of mobile workers. In 2016, the Commission included proposals in the labour mobility package to further reform the system and adapt it to the modern economic and social realities of the EU. This principle means that social security benefits can be paid across the EU and prohibits Member States from booking payments to people residing in their countries. However, it does not apply to all social security benefits; Special schemes apply, for example, to unemployment benefits. Since 2006, EU citizens travelling within the EEA have been free to use the European Health Insurance Card issued by the health insurance services in their home country. This card facilitates access to medical care for personal or professional reasons in the event of an unforeseen health need during a visit to another EEA country. Access is granted on the same conditions and costs as those insured in this country. Costs are reimbursed by the domestic social security system. The list of countries that have a mutual agreement with the United Kingdom has been updated.

Article 3 of Regulation (EC) 883/2004 lists social security benefits: non-EEA countries with which the UK has a mutual social security agreement for NICs If you work in another country because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you continue to pay social security contributions or UK national insurance as usual, unless you are informed. If you have any questions, please contact HMRC or the social security service in the country in which you work. For more information on your social security requirements and rights, see housing and work in the EEA. Detached workers are an exceptional case, as they are temporary and remain subject to social security in their home Member State for up to 24 months. In the Member State of residence, only in-kind benefits can be collected in the health sector. If you can, you will not have to pay social security contributions in the country where you work. The right of people to move freely within the EEA is complemented by a system that coordinates social security schemes.

Share On:

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: